Matt Fish shares “Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes” recipe with Cleveland.com for Mother’s Day
With restaurants closed in Ohio for dine-in, many people will be looking for alternative ways to celebrate “Mother’s Day” this year. To help those who have chosen to try and cook their own dinners for Mom this year, Melt Owner/Founder Matt Fish recently shared his recipe for “Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes” with the editors of Cleveland.com. Click here for the full recipe or follow the steps below.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 cups of thinly sliced raw potatoes
- 3 tbsp. Of butter
- 3 tbsp. Of flour
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1 dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of grated cheese, such as sharp cheddar, plus ½ cup for sprinkling on top
- 1 tsp. of paprika
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a casserole dish with spray or butter.
2. Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium-low heat and blend in flour. Let that sit for a minute or two, and then add all of the cold milk and whisk. Season with salt and cayenne and let cook on low heat until smooth and boiling, while stirring occasionally.
3. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese to the milk mixture.
4. Place half of the slice potatoes neatly in the casserole dish. Then, pour half the cheese sauce over that layer.
5. Repeat with a second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and sprinkle with paprika for a touch of color.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.